What Is E-commerce Marketing? Everything You Need To Know
With the help of today’s technology and the Internet, e-commerce marketing has boomed. But what is it and how different is it from the kinds of digital marketing? What is e-commerce marketing? We’re going to answer that in this article.
What is e-commerce marketing?
E-commerce marketing, also known as electronic commerce, is the act of driving action and awareness to a business which sells a service or product electronically. In essence, e-commerce marketers use digital content, social media, email campaigns, and search engines, to name a few, to attract potential customers and facilitate purchases online.
One example of this is Amazon.com. This is probably the most popular online store in the industry.
- By 2020, it is estimated that the total sales in e-commerce around the world will reach a whopping $4.058 trillion!
- There are an estimated 224 million online shoppers by 2019 which makes the US a large audience base to target.
- Mobile shoppers alone, there is an expected 162.8 million users by 2019 in the US. For this reason, store owners have to optimize their ads and websites for mobile.
- Women are seen to spend more online than men. For each $10 spent online, men spend only $4, and the rest is women.
- The generation with the biggest amount to spend for online shopping are millennials from the ages 18 to 34.
E-commerce Business Model Types
Image source: https://stocksnap.io/photo/NWXA46JA4V
- C2C or consumer to consumer is when consumers are also selling to other consumers. One example of this is eBay, Facebook groups and Craiglist. A lot of the sellers here have no physical businesses. Most of them are selling brand new products or second-hand.
- C2B or consumer to business is the time when consumers sell their services and products to organizations or businesses. An example is a photographer selling their photos to a specific business.
- B2B or the business to a business model is the moment when businesses are selling products to other businesses. One example of a B2B business is Alibaba when suppliers sell to other businesses. Most of Alibaba’s prices are very low since they are a wholesale process so other businesses can make a profit from the products.
- B2C or business to consumer is when businesses sell to consumers. If you decide to have your store online, you won’t be selling to other businesses. Instead, you will be selling to customers. Some examples of B2C businesses are Apple, Walmart, and Amazon.
E-commerce Websites Types
There are all sorts of e-commerce websites. Here are some examples.
Service-based E-commerce Website
These are providers of simple online services or freelancing which have become a huge trend in the past years. By creating a website to link potential clients and freelancers, you get a service-based e-commerce website.
Physical Goods E-commerce Website
Stores who sell brick and mortars can have their online shop and sell to a lot more people. It is an excellent option for retailers who want to increase their sales but don’t want to create a physical store.
Digital Products E-commerce Website
The companies who sell video games and other digital products don’t need a physical store to sell their products especially when this only involves a customer to download the product. These e-commerce businesses have lesser costs making it a more profitable business model.
Dropshipping Ecommerce Website
Dropshipping is a bit different from the rest of the e-commerce website types. Here, merchants will sell goods on their stores, but the supplier holds their inventory. By the time a customer buys a product, the supplier will fulfill the order in their stead.
So what makes an e-commerce store successful?
Image source: https://stocksnap.io/photo/AEENLCARXY
Are you planning on establishing your e-commerce store? Then you have come to the right place. After all, running an e-commerce store is not as easy as it sounds. By merely having some products and a store, this doesn’t mean that people will go to your site and buy your products. There are still things you have to do to ensure that your store is a success.
Focus on your customers
You can sell anything to almost anyone with e-commerce. So you have to be careful with what you need to do to make them trust you to buy a product from you. So choose your copy’s tone of voice, find the right website theme, and pick the correct branding. Here’s a quick tip. Focus only on one or two target audiences so you won’t get overwhelmed.
You can use your friends and make them your test subjects. Ask them to pretend that they are buying from your website and see if everything flows perfectly. See to it that the checkout process isn’t too long. People might leave your site if your checkout process is too long.
Optimize for mobile
Almost everyone who surfs the internet uses mobile phones. And guess what? People who purchase from websites are mostly using mobile phones. Make sure that your website is optimized for mobile so your customers can easily buy from you.
Grow your store’s traffic using PPC and SEO. Don’t miss out on these two. You can find a lot of articles about these two topics and allocate a small budget when it comes to it.
Don’t stop. Make sure you are not contented. Always look for new products and ways to sell these. There’s no need to restock your e-commerce store each month. Attract attention via ways that are innovating enough to grow your store a bit more.
In the coming years, e-commerce is expected to evolve. There will be more of augmented reality and virtual experience for shoppers. You might even see stores include “virtually trying” on clothes for customers. What about you? Are you going to be a part of e-commerce or will you be the customer?https://www.cosplayshot.com/what-is-e-commerce-marketing-everything-you-need-to-know/Business